Dry Season Maintenance Tips
We’ve put together some dry season maintenance tips below, to keep you and your property in tip top shape in the Dry.
It is that time of year…Darwin’s famous dry season, and we could not be happier.
As the wet season humidity becomes a memory, we emerge from our air-conditioned cocoons, and spend more time outdoors. Spending a little time on maintenance of your property not only gives you an excuse to get up and about in our lovely climate, but maintains the property value and prevents future maintenance problems.
We’ve put together some easy dry season maintenance tips to keep you and your property in tip top shape this dry season.
- Trim and prune garden beds and hedges
- Clear and remove palm fronds and undergrowth
- Check for root growth – large trees and bushes can grow extensive root systems which may interfere with underground pipes causing blocked drains.
- Check reticulation is in working order.
- Re-mulch garden beds
- Fertilise during the dry season.
- Replace any sprinklers and hoses.
- Clean out gutters and downpipes.
- Attend to cracked bricks or loose weather boards on the outside of the house.
- Repair damaged fly screens
- Repair any damage to fencing or gates to keep your property secure.
- Maintain and test fire alarm, remove dust and cobwebs.
- Repair paint chips, or peeling paint in walls and door frames
- Get professional air conditioner cleaning and maintenance, to remove any remnants of mould, bacteria and dust.
- Clean ceiling fans regularly during these dustier months ahead
- Clean solar panels, they will work more effectively if cleared of dust and debris.
- Check and install surge protection. This helps protect your valuable electrical appliances (like your fridge, TV and computer) from lightning strikes, power surges and voltage spikes. Although we see an increase in calls related to damaged electrical appliances over the wet season due to our intense thunderstorms, power surges can happen no matter what the weather is doing.
If you need a hand, check out our trusted contractors here, who we have worked with over many years, and consistently deliver outstanding service.
Also check out our handy Dry Season Pool and Spa Maintenance Tips.
If you have any other handy dry season tips, please get in touch and let us know!